Start Here

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Fisherman's Tale

A Fisherman's Tale
by : Athena




When I was a young kid, I never fancy fish as a meal. I don't like, it. Really! I love pork and chicken, instead. But we can only have them twice a week. Inay would always tell me to eat whatever is being served on the table, reminding me how lucky I am for still having food during mealtime. Our house back then was near the shore of Sta. Rita Aplaya (Batangas). Fish, fish, fish--- everywhere. It is the most convenient ulam Inay could buy without having the hassle of going to market. Majority of men in our area were fishermen. My father, once, too, was a FISHERMAN.

Tatay was a son of a fisherman. His brothers, once in their lives, were also fishermen. When he graduated in elementary, he was asked by his teacher if he's going to go to high school. He was supposed to be their class Valedictorian. He told her, no. Because Mamay Silangan(my paternal grandfather) told him to stop schooling for financial reasons. "Mangingisda na lang po ako." But in his heart, he wanted to go to high school. And maybe, to college, too.

When he was a young man, he fell in love with a fisherman's daughter. My Mamay Kanluran (maternal grandfather) was not happy with this. To him, a fisherman's daughter marrying another fisherman is not a good combi. But what the heck! Theirs' was a love against all odds.

So, the two became one. And one, became two, then became three--- yearly! That's Ate Amor, Kuya Gil and Ate Armie. The fisherman's income was not enough anymore. But Inay never believed that they were a bad combination. And neither was my father. By that time, Tatay shifted from being a fisherman to a construction worker in Manila. He used to tell me that he's one of the builders of those structures in Manila Bay's reclaimed area (CCP Complex). He also worked for a while in Meralco. I also used to see pictures of him in Guam. I don't know what he did there. But definetely, our FISHERMAN was out of the sea.

By the time Kuya Deo and I were born, Tatay was already an OFW. He used to tell me stories of his hardships when applying for a job abroad. How he ate buko ice drop for lunch just so not to miss the interview. He spent almost 20 years of his life working in the Middle East under numerous companies---ARAMCO being the longest. I think he worked as a pipefitter there. One month for every year, he would spend it with us in the Philippines. He sees to it that everytime he comes home, there's a special occasion to celebrate-- a graduation, Christmas or New Year. And I was wondering why everytime he goes home, he'll ask Inay to prepare fish dishes--- sinaing na tulingan, especially!

When I was 13 years old, we transferred to San Pascual (Batangas) where he built his trophy--- our house. This time, no shoreline. No worries during typhoon, but definetely no majestic site during sunset. But one thing did not change--- we still have fish on our plate most of the time.

When I was in college, I made Tatay face his most dreadful fear--- I had a boyfriend at 19! I still keep that letter he sent me and i can vividly remember his lines: "Binigyan mo ako ng isipin gabi-gabi." I think he was more open to the idea that Ariel Rivera was my boyfriend rather than a real boy-person. Anyway, it only lasted for over a year and it was such a relief on his part that it ended soon.

When I was about to enter med school, he made me promise one thing: that I will finish it to the very end. When I bought my basic med books (through his money, of course!), he browsed some of its' pages. I could see in him the thirst for knowledge--- that very thing he was denied of because of their financial status back then. He asked me: "Anak, ano ba yung CELL?" I don't know how I was able to explain that to him using the simplest words in Tagalog. During our exchanges of letters, I told him how hard my subjects in medicine were. He wrote me back: "Anak, ikaw ang magtrabaho dito sa Saudi, at ako ang mag-aaral ng Medisina. Malalaman mo ang ibig sabihin ng salitang MAHIRAP." From then on, I never complained.

I was in second year in Medicine when he finished his contract in ARAMCO and never renewed. There and then, I noticed how he grew old. How his ulcer and arthritis limit his capacity to work. He still love sinaing na tulingan now more than ever.

Surprisingly, when I got married and lived in Manila, I kinda' loved FISH, too! And I began to miss Nemo's family from the sea. Now, whenever I see fish on a plate, I remember Tatay--- how a fisherman's son bacame a Pediatrician's father. And how proud I am to be a FISHERMAN'S DAUGHTER!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TATAY!!!


Epilogue : He is also a FATHER of a Civil Engineer, a Chemist (M.A.), a MEDTECH, & a FATHER-IN-LAW of an Internal Medicine (M.D.), an Agricultural Engineer (Ph.D.), a Civil Engineer & a Pharmacist....


Source : http://metopak.com/forum/index.php?topic=12204.0


*Great composition
-pill

No comments: